Where the Action Is is a book about meetings, which you’ll discover makes this a book about running a better business.
Buy direct and save. Bulk orders available!
Buy Direct From Us!
Great Meetings Create Competitive Advantage
What do high-performing organizations like Zingerman’s (a collective of gourmet food companies), Bridgewater Associates (an investment management firm), and the Opposing Force group at the U.S. Army’s National Training Center have in common? They don’t waste a lot of time in meetings.
Does this mean that they don’t meet? Not at all. Instead, leaders at these organizations have learned how to design a sequence of tailored meetings that engage people and drive forward momentum.
Distilling insights from business management, cognitive and behavioral psychology, innovation studies, and 10 years of focused work on meetings, Where the Action Is presents a new understanding of how organizations can use meetings to engage their communities, simplify communications, and accelerate progress.
Sneak Peek: Table of Contents
Full of stories, original conceptual frameworks, and new perspectives on meetings, this isn't just another book about how to use an agenda. Here's a sneak peek at the table of contents, with links to a rich set of supporting resources.
Part 1: Breaking the Doom Loop
- The Bad Meetings Doom Loop
- The Truth About Why We Meet
- The Perverse Psychology of Meetings
- Introducing the 16 Types of Meetings
Part 2: Mastering the Work in Meetings
- The Core Competencies
- Functional Meeting Structure
- Pumping Up Perceived Meeting Quality
- The Spectrum of Meeting Engagement
- Designing for Net Positive Impact
- The Game Changers
Part 3: Mastering the Meetings at Work
- The Meeting Performance Maturity Model
- Zingerman’s: A Profile of High Performance
- The Five Focus Areas for Meeting Performance Maturity
- Seizing Cultural Ownership
- Assessing Meeting Performance Maturity
Part 4: The 16 Types of Meetings that Work
- The Cadence Meetings
- Team Cadence
- Progress Checks
- Action Reviews
- Governance Cadence
- The Catalyst Meetings
- Idea Generation
- Problem Solving
- Decision Making
- The Learn and Influence Meetings
- Issue Resolution
- Community of Practice
Wrapping up and Looking Forward
35. From Meetings to Meeting Flows
Final Thoughts: Meetings in a Complex Adaptive System
Sources, by Chapter
Reviews for Where The Action Is on