You can find an introduction to Idea Generation Meetings in Chapter 23 of Where the Action Is. These resources will help you plan, run, and troubleshoot the specific Idea Generation Meetings your team needs.
An Idea Generation Meeting is used when a group needs to quickly create a lot of new ideas.
- What are all the ideas we can think of in this situation?
- Ad Campaign Brainstorming Session
- User Story Brainstorming
- Fundraiser Brainstorming
- New Product Ideas
- Party Theme Ideas
- Create a whole bunch of ideas.
- Lots of new ideas that can be used to seed a new effort.
- Information about what the organization considers possible—the
- ideas provided reveal the group’s accepted boundaries.
- Excitement about the chance to be a part of something new.
- A break from the day-to-day routine.
- New perspectives; broadened thinking.
Recommended Reading & Resources
- "Research: For Better Brainstorming, Tell an Embarrassing Story", Leigh Thompson (2017).
- Thinkertoys: A Handbook of Creative-Thinking Techniques. Michael Michalko (2006).